About Us

About Us and the History of Pertwee and Back Ford Dealers

Pertwee and Back Ltd has been a Ford Main Dealer for over 75 years and shares a rich history with the towns of Great Yarmouth and Gorleston in Norfolk. We have two branches in the area and offer the complete range of Ford services including new Ford cars, Ford Fleet and Commercials, a wide selection of used Ford cars, Ford Servicing, genuine Ford Parts and Accessories, Ford Rental and Leasing, Ford Mobility (Motability), and Quick Lane branch.

Pertwee and Back History

Originally founded by S V Moore & Son in 1810 as anchor, whitesmiths and brass founders, the firm branched out into general engineering and iron founders. It was purchased by Mr. H A Pertwee in 1900 and he was joined by Mr. W H Back in 1901 to form the partnership of Pertwee and Back. The firm grew and manufactured commercial dough mixers and ice crushing machines. Branches were opened at Riverside, Gorleston, and Belvedere Road, Lowestoft.

During the first world war parts were made for the war office and work done for the Admiralty on M.T.B’s and Minesweepers. After the war a garage was built alongside the Southgates Road premises. However, with the depression of the 1920s the Gorleston and Lowestoft premises were sold. Mr Pertwee retired and a Limited Company was formed in 1929 based at Southgates Road. Morris Commercial and Singer Car agencies were held.

The Ford Main Agency appointment was made in 1935. However with the outbreak of war in 1939 the company was virtually ‘taken over’ by the Admiralty to maintain the M.T.B’s and Minesweepers stationed at Great Yarmouth. Nearly one hundred men worked out of the Yarmouth premises.

The motor side of the business started again almost from scratch after the hostilities had ceased in 1945. These activities expanded over the ensuing years. Due to economic pressure, the iron foundry was closed in 1964, and the engineering business in 1971. The Ford Main Dealership had expanded considerably and the accident repair work started in 1966.

The company had outgrown the Southgates Road site by 1971, and an additional garage site of 1.6 acres was purchased at 134 Lowestoft Road, Gorleston. Due to road development, the forecourt, showroom and much of the land was lost at Gorleston and so a new site for the showroom and repairs was opened in March 1992 at Gapton Hall Road, the Gorleston workshops being retained and made into an up-to-date body shop centre. The main parts depot and workshops then moved to the Gapton Hall site in 2013 with Rapid Fit remaining on the original site at Southgates Road.

Back to top